Now that my head has stopped rebelling against happiness (so dramatic!) I thought it was time for something lighthearted to lift the mood. That’s not to ignore the terrible stuff that has happened since (RIP Jo Cox) but sometimes humour is needed in the depths of despair.
On that note, I was tagged by the lovely Dannii Jane at A Beautiful Thing to talk about things that make me happy. So here we go!
The rules for this tag are simple. List 5 things that make you happy, 5 songs that make you happy and then nominate 5 bloggers to complete this tag.
5 things that make me happy
- Sunshine. Instantly lifts my mood and makes me a nicer, happier person (and easier to live with too!)
- A really good meal. That sense of yummy enjoyment when food is speaking to your very soul.
- Holidays. Planning them, but more so going on them! Seeing stuff, visiting places, taking photos, lying on a beach – I love everything about getaways.
- My balcony in summer. I love planning colour schemes and potting new plants, watching them grow.
- Singing along to powerful songs – the likes of Mariah and Whitney – trying for (and missing!) the high notes and doing the whole fist grab warbly diva thing!
5 songs that make me happy
- Chris Isaak – Wicked Game
This song reminds me of my husband, we used to listen to it loads when we first got together and it reminds me of that time.
- Motley Crue – Smokin in the Boys Room
This was always the first song I put on the jukebox in the many nights we spent in the Rainbow Bar & Grill in West Hollywood, LA. It’s so fun!
- Temper Trap – Sweet Disposition
I loved this song from the first time I heard it. When we were at the Rolling Stones Hyde Park gig a few years ago I was running round trying to find some friends who’d travelled separately (Hi Cookie and Sadie!) We kept missing each others calls and texts and struggled to get in touch due to poor signal and then I found them when this song was playing. I will always always remember it for that.
- Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince – Summertime
The ultimate summer song and one that never fails to make me stop what I’m doing, smile, dance and singalong. I truly believe it’s the best summer song ever! You know I’m right!
- Finally, a very unseasonal one! Mariah Carey – All I Want for Christmas is You
I can’t listen to this without singing. I sing it so badly and I don’t even care, that’s part of the fun! It’s the ultimate Christmas song that I also do a weird hybrid pirouette dance when I hear it at home to make the husband laugh. For that reason he plays it on purpose when I’m doing other stuff, because he knows I’ll drop everything and come and dance in the lounge!
I’m actually not going to nominate anyone specific because I don’t want to put anyone on the spot, but if you’re reading this and it sounds fun then please get involved! And don’t forget to leave me a note in the comments with a link to your post so I can check out your answers.
Happy Friday and thanks, as always, for reading! x